MST unveils its €35.3m renovated runway
Maastricht Aachen Airport (MST) has unveiled its €35.3m renovated runway as part of a plan to extend its operational length to 2,750 meters by January 2025.
The eight-week renovation project was part of the Dutch airport’s overall infrastructure development plan to invest €100m over the coming years.
Sustainability was the key theme of the launch event held at the airport on June 30, with an electric plane used to officially open the runway.
“Today, we are celebrating the launch of our newly improved runway and looking back over the hard work that has gone into the planning and execution of this project – but we are also looking forward,” said Jos Roeven, chief executive, MST.
“The decision to inaugurate the runway with an electric plane is symbolic of our commitment to ensure the sustainability of this airport for years to come.”
Cargo operations have now returned at MST, the second largest cargo hub in the Netherlands, with Turkish Cargo operating five flights a week out of the hub.
Royal Jordanian and Emirates SkyCargo have also continued their operations at the airport, both running two flights each week.
Last month, Royal Schiphol Group finalised its 40% stake in MST, becoming the second shareholder in the airport alongside the province of Limburg, which owns the remaining 60%.